Skip navigation

We’ve launched our Expert Advisory Panel - read more about the Innovation Agenda here.

2.5 Translated Documents

Date Effective:  February 25, 2013

Scope: This policy applies to all internationally-educated physiotherapists applying to CAPR’s credentialling process.

Principles: CAPR receives documents and applications from all over the world. The credentialling process requires the submission of authentic and true translations into English or French in situations where the documents were not originally produced in either of these languages.


As documents in languages other than English or French are often used to determine the competency and training of an internationally-educated physiotherapist, having authentic and dependable translations is necessary to ensure the correct information is considered.


There a three ways that translated documents can be submitted to CAPR:

  1. Applicants, or their representatives, can have the documents that would normally be acceptable to be received from the applicant (e.g. degree, identity documents) translated by a certified translator and then sent to CAPR.
  2. A university can forward documents translated by that university’s official translator, along with the documents in the original language, directly to CAPR.
  3. A university can forward un-translated documents, which will then be forwarded to the applicant to be translated by a certified translator and then sent directly to CAPR.

CAPR will not accept notarized copies of translations.  All translations received by CAPR must be originals.


CAPR will only accept translations performed by a certified translator, who are usually certified by a government organization, such as the Association of Translators and Interpreters of Ontario. For international translators, CAPR standard is a translator who has been certified by a member organization of the International Federation of Translators. For information on certified translators in Canada, please visit the Canadian Translators, Terminologists and Interpreters Council (CTTIC) of Canada.

In some countries a certified translator may be called an ‘official’ translator.

For further information, please refer to the Credentialling Application Process Guide.